Monday 2 July 2012

Rimmel London - Glam Eyes Day 2 Night Mascara





[Left: length     -      Right: length + volume]

I had been intrigued about mascara like this since I first became aware of the MAC - Haute & Naughty Lash. It looked like magic to me! How could there be 2 different brushes in the one tube?! Haha. 

I always wanted to try the MAC - Haute & Naughty as I had heard great things about it, but never got around to it to be honest and almost forgot about it until I recently saw this Rimmel version of the same concept. I actually ended up getting this free when Priceline had a promo on Rimmel products which was nice!

There are essentially 2 kinds of mascara wands in the same package, one is packaged as giving your lashes length and the other is for volume. As you can see from the photos above the length mascara wand is thin and the bristles are quite separated, and the volume wand is quite dense and thick and there was a lot more product on the brush. 

Rimmel's description of the product on their website is "Introducing  Day-2-Night, Rimmel’s unbeatable new mascara that creates 2 dramatically different lash looks, all with 1 amazing new system. The secret is the magic double cap! 1.Choose The Top Cap for Length. Stretches lashes to new distances, exceptionally defined and ultra-lengthened. 2.Choose the Bottom Cap for Volume. Thickens lashes with voluptuous, oversized volume. Not a clump in sight.
I would agree that the system does work in that way, but I don't know that it works as dramatically as they make it sound. Haha. 

I found that the lengthening brush was thin, very thin to the point of being flimsy and a little hard to work with. It applied hardly any product at all, but it did separate my lashes quite well and added length in comparison to my bare lashes - but not the best I've ever seen a mascara work for length. I really liked that it separated my lashes so neatly, and it worked to your advantage with separation having hardly any product on the brush as they don't have anything to stick them together with.

The volume brush was a little hard to work with as well because the product was just so wet. I know in the picture my lashes look quite good in the end and there's no clumping which is what Rimmel had promised, but it took a lot of fiddling around to get them to look this neat. It's not the easiest mascara wand I've used before, but the end result is quite nice and they're really nice and black which definitely promotes the "Day 2 Night" appeal of the mascara. Maybe once I've used the mascara a bit more it will dry up a little more to get the consistency easier to work with - this happens sometimes with new mascaras that they're quite 'wet' as there's obviously a lot of product and it's fresh.

Overall I think this is a great way to go from "Day 2 Night" as the mascara implies, but the "length" application on it's own really is a bit too light for me personally as I tend to indulge with bold lashes every day. It's definitely a great 2 in 1 product which is budget friendly and builds nicely if you're prepared to fiddle around a little with the brushes to get them set perfectly. 

Rimmel Glam Eyes Day 2 Night mascara is available in Australia from Priceline for $16.95 , or you can also find your nearest stockist online on the Rimmel website as they stock the brand in Target, Kmart, Big W, Coles, Woolworths, and David Jones as well. 

Have you tried a 2 step mascara like this before? What was your experience like? What are your all time favourite mascaras? x

No comments:

Post a Comment